Harvard is the shit! They just released their version of the USDA’s “MyPlate”, which they are calling the “Healthy Eating Plate”:
In Harvard’s press release about the Healthy Eating Plate, they took a hard line against the USDA, saying:
Unfortunately, like the earlier U.S. Department of Agriculture Pyramids, MyPlate mixes science with the influence of powerful agricultural interests, which is not the recipe for healthy eating. The Healthy Eating Plate is based on the best available scientific evidence and provides consumers with the information they need to make choices that can profoundly affect our health and well being. – Walter Willett, Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition and chair of the Department of Nutrition at HSPH
Daaaaamn, son! Harvard just done spilled ALL the tea!!!! That is some major shade being thrown the USDA’s way and I LOVE it.
Healthy Eating Plate Highlights:
- Meat: Healthy Eating Plate tells consumers to limit read meat and avoid processed meats altogether, including everyone’s favorite: bacon. It does recommend fish and poultry still BUT it also specifically recommends beans and nuts as equal protein sources, a huge step forward.
- Diary: Harvard takes a bold stance, removing dairy as the default drink and replacing it with water. They recommend limiting dairy to 1-2 servings per day. This is a drastic change from the USDA’s MyPlate which recommends dairy at every meal.
- Vegetables: Healthy Eating Plate says “the more veggies, the more variety, the better” and distinguishes between veggies and potatoes. The veggies also take up a bigger portion of the plate, with a reduction in fruit.
There are many other things I love about the Healthy Eating Plate, but those are the biggest vegan wins. I am so happy to see a major institution step up and take a stand against how poisoned our government has become by the meat and dairy industries!!!
If you’d like to read more, Harvard has published some great resources around this landmark recommendation:
- Healthy Eating Plate vs USDA MyPlate
- Healthy Eating Plate Press Release
- The Full Story Behind the Food Pyramid